The solely method to be 100% certain of getting a verified pure breed Maine Coon cat is to purchase a pedigree kitten from a breeder. The breeder ought to be capable of current a household tree of your cat’s pedigree and supply related certification.
A advisable place to start out a seek for a respected breeder in your native space is the “Maine Coon Breed Fanciers Association” (www.mcbfa.org) Maine Coon kittens might be immediately recognizable by the lengthy tufty ears and outsized paws, as seen within the basic longhaired American nonetheless there’s a European pressure of Maine Coon, (my very own Maine Coon, King Henry comes from a German line) which has a shorter ruff across the neck, and sometimes a fuller, squarer muzzle. The variations will not be obvious till the cat is between 12 to 18 months.
In phrases of figuring out a “pure” pedigree Maine Coon, you will be relying fairly closely on info the breeder is presenting to you. If you might have issue discovering a respected breeder, you possibly can try to get a advice by speaking to people at a native occasion or an “all breeds” Cat present. It is important you’re joyful together with your breeder – if you’re turning into a Maine Coon proprietor for the primary time, you might have to depend on their knowledgeable recommendation.
You can anticipate to pay wherever between $500 and $800 for a pure breed Maine Coon. With meals, litter, vet payments and cat-sitters for holidays, Maine Coons might be a comparatively costly funding. All homeowners will agree that they’re a really great breed and can repay you a lot instances over.
IMPORTANT TIP: This might save a lot of heartache, bother and expense in a while; When shopping for an costly pet, don’t go for the kitten you’re feeling sorry for and appears prefer it wants assist. Any kittens with indicators of withdrawal, low power or common apathy, ought to actually be averted. Choose an impartial, full of life, energetic kitten. Pick out kittens that do not essentially come to you however are, nonetheless, all in favour of their environment.
It’s greatest to select a native breeder and go to them of their dwelling, if you’re first making your preliminary enquiries to test the kitten’s residing situations, well being and welfare of all cats residing in the identical atmosphere.
Although it seems like widespread sense, have questions ready that may provide help to to determine whether or not the breeder might be trusted.
Questions you will positively wish to ask:
1. How a lot expertise does the breeder have? If you want assurance concerning the breeder’s capacity/experience ask to talk to somebody who has just lately bought a Maine Coon from that breeder.
2. Who are the kittens’ dad and mom and are they champions? Even when you do not intend to point out your cat, you will nonetheless wish to discover out about their pedigree. That’s what you’re paying for. If that is simply not necessary, you’ll be able to generally discover cheaper Maine Coons which are known as “pet high quality” which means they don’t meet the required bodily requirements for exhibiting. This doesn’t imply they don’t seem to be completely wholesome.
3. Does the stud dwell with the breeder? If not, can the breeder assure that the stud has not been subjected to any sicknesses e.g. cat flu. Has the breeder bred the stud earlier than?
4. Is there any identified heredity sicknesses within the ancestral line akin to HCM (could cause coronary heart failure) and hip issues?
5. Have any of the opposite cats suffered from any sicknesses for e.g. have any current litters suffered from any pressure of cat flu?
6. If related to your scenario, ask if the kitten is snug round different animals and youngsters?
7. At what level, might the kittens go away their mom (I might be involved if the breeder allowed the kitten to go away it is mom whether it is lower than 12 weeks).
8. Will a vet test the kittens earlier than leaving the breeder’s dwelling? How many instances? If the Maine Coon turns into unwell after it has left the breeder, who’s answerable for paying vet’s charges or might the kitten be returned to the breeder?
9. You’ll additionally wish to learn the way usually the queen is impregnated; as a result of a queen subjected to “too common” pregnancies might be liable to producing weak or sickly kittens.
Other issues you might wish to test/do:
10. The residing situations of the stud and queens e.g. the cleanliness of the cages/rooms and the well being/welfare of the cat and so on.
11. Will the cats be litter educated earlier than they transfer to their new houses?
12. Also, the atmosphere the place the mom and kittens live. Are there toys, clear litter, heat, meals and water?
13. Check the eyes of the kitten to guage its well being. Never buy a kitten that has weeping eyes.
14. The breeder’s contract. Have a learn of the written settlement earlier than you commit your self. Pay explicit consideration to areas of duty ought to the kitten turn out to be unwell quickly after you have purchased him/her.
15. You ought to e book your new kitten in for an all spherical test with your individual vet virtually as quickly as you have collected from the breeder. If there are any indicators of issues, you will wish to know throughout the first 24 hours.
On the entire, Maine Coon breeders are enthusiastic about their cats and love what they do. There’s not a complete lot of cash to be made in breeding Maine Coons, and it is extremely demanding work.
Unless, your intestine feeling tells you in any other case, you’ll be able to anticipate to be speaking to breeders who’re completely devoted Maine Coon lovers.
Copyright 2006 Sarah Crosier